Shoalhaven Libraries are Shh free zones! Come and join in our fun-tastic programs and school holiday activities! We have a huge range of stories to choose from, from fairy tales to farts, daring quests to diaries... we have all the stories you need!
We have many resources available for children:
- Picture Books: a wide range of picture books classified into different reading levels.
- Junior Fiction: All your favourite authors and much more to read for pleasure.
- Junior Readers: Bridging the gap between picture books and chapter books.
- Junior Non-Fiction: Information books for school assignments or special interests.
- Audiobooks: Listen to your favourite books at home or in the car.
- Home education resources
- DVDs: Entertainment, information programs and movies.
- Magazines: Titles such as K zone, Total Girl and Scientific to name a few from our extensive collection.
We also offer a range of activities for children throughout the year:
- Storytime – this event is held twice a month for children aged 2-5. There are stories, songs and craft, with a focus on literacy and numeracy.
- Book Clubs
- Children's Book Week activities
- School Holiday activities
- Literacy programs
- School visits and outreach
- Preschool and Playgroup visits and outreach
- Homework Help and Assignment Assistance
- Readers’ Advisory
- Premiers Reading Challenge titles and lists
- Summer Reading Club is an annual event over the Christmas school holiday period jam packed full of activities and fun.
Paws'N'Tales is an innovative and award-winning reading program for children aged 4 to 8 years of age who have literacy issues. Based on the successful R.E.A.D (Reading Education Assistance Dogs) program in America, Paws 'N' Tales is the first affiliated group in Australia. Paws 'N' Tales is currently running at Nowra Library, where trained volunteer teams are providing weekly sessions for children.
The program aims to improve participants' communication skills and confidence by reading aloud to a well-trained dog.
You can learn more about the program by watching this video or by contacting Gemma Luxford on 4429 3712 or via email.
Reading is an enjoyable activity for a child, and it is also an opportunity for parents and babies to bond, spend time together and connect as a family.
Shoalhaven Libraries invites you to join your newborn up at any branch and receive a library bag with a free book to keep. Also In the bag you will find information about reading to children, booklists and a calendar of free events and children's programs that our libraries provide all year around.
Your child’s library card will allow them to access resources, programs and services that will enhance their reading experience and impress upon them the importance and value of reading at a young age.
All of Shoalhaven Libraries branches offer many fun and free activities for young children and continue to provide for them as they grow up. Activities are Rhymetime for 0-18 months, Storytime for 2-5 year olds and once they reach school age, there are many different holiday activities that can be attended. The library also has a digital collection of e-books and databases that cater for children.
For more information visit our website at shoalhavenlibraries.com.au
or call us on 4429 3705.